Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bringing things up to date

Can't believe it's been over a month since posting here! The old memory ain't what it used to be, so I'll work backwards until I run out of recollections... most recently, I spent Wed. evening at a camp near Contoocook, NH with members of the NHAS showing the kids at the camp as many things as a quarter moon would allow. The kids came in age groups, young ones early and older ones later. We started with the moon, then M13 and Jupiter filled out the evening. We had six telescopes ranging from an older 8" Odyssey (f/4.5) to 11" SCT. The ThermaCells kept the 'skeeters away, I think there were six of them running. All in all a very enjoyable evening.

A couple of nights ago I tried out a couple of Burgess 20mm Bino-lite EPs in a binoviewer. The moon was just amazing in a binoviewer at about 75X, almost a 3D view. Two eyes is definitely better than one.

And last month during a trip to California, a bunch of us converged on Coyote Lake State Park for an evening of stargazing. Kind of hard to find and get to in the dark, but definitely a wonderful dark place esp. given how much light pollution there is in the Bay Area. The SJAA have made sure that astronomers are welcome after dark, and I confirmed this with a phone call to the ranger in advance.

OK, I'm sure there were more, but I have to get better at writing things down as they happen!

No comments: