Monday, June 9, 2008

Some Moon observations

Tonight was clear (transparent) but turbulent (poor seeing), so I decided to spend some time looking at the moon. We are at the 6th or 7th day past new moon, so I took out 'The Modern Moon' by Charles Woods. This is really the first time I have tried to do any lunar geography at the eyepiece.

At first I was completely lost, but eventually most easy to find was Mare Serenitatis, with crater Bessel marking it's southern half (up in the Newtonian scope). The Serpentine ridge was clearly highlighted by the low sun angle.

Most interesting though was the area of Taurus-Littrow, where Apollo 17 landed. Incredibly, it was quite easy to see the North Massif and South Massif, 11 thousand foot high peaks in between which the Apollo 17 Lunar Module flew on it's descent to the lava plain between them. All the more credit to those brave adventurers.

Farther east, well into daylight, craters Hercules and Atlas were easily identified.

Samantha the astro pooch was happy to hang around for the entire session, lasting about 45 minutes. I closed up by taking a peek at Saturn (2 moons visible due to the light from the moon), and then I calibrated the COL and took a peek at M13 in Hercules just to see how badly lit the sky was by the moon. It was much less contrasty tonight than just two nights ago with my nephew Dan and my friend Martin.

No comments: