Thursday, April 23, 2009

Getting ready for some observing on Nantucket

Tonight I got the 8" dob carefully collimated just to see how Saturn looked in it since the clouds have finally cleared out. It was beautiful as usual. At 180X I could easily see the gap between the rings and the planet even thought the ring tilt is only a few degrees. I put in a 9mm UO with 2X barlow which gave 266X and the view was spectacular, including cloud belts and at least four pinpoint moons. The Hyperions are great, but when you look at the moons, the Orthoscopic EP is clearly the winner, even over the WO Super Planetary.

This weekend is a work weekend in Nantucket, but I have an 8" dob down there and hope to do some observing during the new moon night on Saturday - right after I put in the new tile in Little Pines...

No comments: