Tuesday, September 2, 2008

End of season at Hampton Boardwalk


Sunday evening was the beginning of another beautiful night, so I went back to the boardwalk at about 8:30. Lots of people and families enjoyed seeing Jupiter and four moons. I gave out a lot of ISAN stickers to the kids and copies of the one-page "what we are looking at tonight" writeups.


No parking at the beach tonight, way too crowded, so I decided to head down on my bike. I put the scope in a backpack (inside its padded case), AT Voyager tripod across the handlebars and Rubbermaid two-step stool over my shoulder. Easy as pie, in 10 minutes I was on station and ready to go. As I passed one family, a lady shouted "Mike, there's that Astronomy guy we were bringing you to see! I was hoping he'd be here again!" How much fun is that?
Scope was the WO Zenithstar ED II with a Burgess binoviewer with 2 20mm Binolight EPs, plus corrector giving 10mm EP focal length. This gave about 56X, which was plenty to see moons and the two main equatorial cloud belts on Jupiter.


No comments: