Monday, April 28, 2008

Observing session notes April 25, 2008

The weather report looked good, and my friend Jim suggested trying a new spot so we met at Stratham Hill park and set up in one of the back parking lots on the grass. This is a great site, quite dark with trees on the edges of the field to block the lower sky glow. The brightest sky was in the SW where Exeter's lights reflected off of some low clouds.

I took out the XT8 and Jim set up his 6" Orion Mak-Newt which gives very nice views for a 6" scope. He has it on a tracking EQ mount so it's possible to keep objects in the field of view for quite a while. Not so the XT...

I did not take notes this night, so this post is from memory. This was one of the darkest and clearest nights in several years around the seacoast area. We spent about the first half hour viewing Saturn, trying out various eyepieces and enjoying the crisp views. The 5mm Hyperion in the XT8 gave crisp and pleasing views at 240X with several moons visible. (If I'd taken notes I could tell you how many! Next time...)

One of the highlights for me was M51, the Whirlpool Galaxy. With the 13mm Hyperion the dual nature of the galaxy was obvious, with hundreds of individual stars around the perimeter resolved clearly and even a hint of the spiral nature of the arms (to my eyes anyway.)

I am using the XT8i Computer Object Locator to help find most of these objects, since my starhopping skills are pretty poor.

The "Leo Trio" finally fell to the clear skies and 8" of aperture. M65 and M66 were easily visible, and after much searching NGC 3628 was faintly visible marked by a triangle of brighter stars. I could not see all three in one field of view, because 3628 required higher magnification to darken the background sky.

M13 in Hercules was also a treat, as was M60 in Virgo. M81 and M82 were easily resolved, and I am pleased to say I found them without using the computer. However M101 was invisible in either of our scopes, in spite of the fact that Jim has found it and shown it to me in his mounted 20x80 binoculars! Very strange...

Dew began to settle about 11pm, and since I had forgotten to close the dew cover on the Telrad it was not much use for the rest of the evening. If I had been using the C9.25 this would have been a great night to test out the Astrozap heated dew shield and DewBuster controller. That will have to wait though.

After packing up, Jim mentioned he liked to finish up with a look around the sky, so he took me on a tour of the constellations with the green laser pointer. I am very impressed with how well he knows the sky and constellations. My goal for this summer is to spend more time outside with the planisphere and binoculars and get more familiar with the main guideposts.

I know I have left a few objects out, but regardless this was a wonderful observing session.

No comments: